Sunday, 20 March 2016

The Peace of Wild Things


Blue Ginger Gallery near Malvern has reopened for 2016 with a vibrant exhibition, The Peace of Wild Things. There are thirteen artists from across the UK taking part and we are happy to be one of them. The exhibition, which opened yesterday with a very lively, colourful celebration afternoon, will continue until early May 2016. 
 
The title of the exhibition comes from a poem by Wendell Berry which we were unfamiliar with. For the last few months we've had a copy of the poem pinned up in the workshop and over time it has become a familiar friend and rather lovely thing for our eyes to drift to when taking a momentary break from making. 
Given the subject of the poem it seemed natural to make a family of Silva Populi creatures for the exhibition - peaceful souls who like nothing more than being in a woodland environment (even if that is encapsulated in a jar!). The long eared character you see here is one of the larger members of that family, a Silva Populi Lepus. She has a dress of pale pink, very fine linen which has a bustle of frayed edges and scraps. Her ears are lined with vintage faux-silk and her body has been dyed with avocado skins. She lives in a large Cadburys Roses jar.

If you follow the link HERE you'll find Wendell Berry reading his poem. 
Enjoy.

 
When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children’s lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.



2 comments:

hawker9999 said...

I just love your little critters! Whenever I see them, they make me smile. Wish I lived closer...would love to attend and take a look at everything you all created.
All the best, Virginia

Murgatroyd said...

Ah, thank you Virginia. There will be a tribe of Silva Populi going to Unit Twelve in Stafford this Summer when A Group Gathering's exhibition takes place. Is that any nearer for you..?

Popular Posts